mercoledì 29 luglio 2015

Review: Those Girls by Lauren Saft

18249315
Title: Those Girls

Author: Lauren Saft
Release Date: June 9th, 2015
Pages: 336

Junior year, the suburbs of Philadelphia. Alex, Mollie and Veronica are those girls: they're the best of friends and the party girls of the school. But how well does everybody know them--and really, how well do they know one another? Alex is secretly in love with the boy next door and has joined a band--without telling anyone. Mollie suffers from a popular (and possibly sociopathic) boyfriend, as well as a serious mean streak. And Veronica just wants to be loved--literally, figuratively, physically....she's not particular. Will this be the year that bonds them forever....or tears them apart for good? 








DNF at 39%

I found this book on NetGalley a couple of weeks ago, and I was really interested in reading it. It felt like a different book, and I thought it would teach us that it isn't okay to be mean, or act like villains. But, I found out that this book is just about being mean and stupid, and waste all the time that God gave us. 
These three girls, Veronica, Alex and Mollie are best friends, even though there's jealousy between them: this is the first thing I didn't like. It's okay to be jealous, but about your best friend? Really? But, it's okay. Maybe her characters had to be jealous to be popular enough, so I let it go and I kept reading. 
Alex is in love with this guy, and she decides to join a band but she doesn't tell it to anyone. The only thing that came across my mind was why? If those girls are your best friends, you shouldn't be afraid to tell them that you joined a band. In the USA it's not even that strange for a girl or a boy to join a band and sing or play with them. 
Mollie has a sociopathic boyfriend, but obviously she's too weak to let him go, or maybe he won't make her popular anymore. 
Veronica wants love, no matter what kind of love. It's okay for a girl to look for love, it's okay to want that feeling, and it's okay to feel like you need someone to love you. But you can't force things! Especially when it comes to love, that is a powerful weapon and it needs time and patience. 
Honestly, while I was reading I had the feeling that the author wanted me to hate every single character of her book. They were all bad, I hated them all and I couldn't even try to understand one of them. It wasn't possible, they were just crazy teens that didn't know what to do. 
The author told us that she wanted to show what's up in a teenager mind, but, even if I'm feeling truly mean, she wasn't able to. She really didn't get a thing about teenagers. I think that our mind could be understood just by someone who's maybe just a couple of years older. Basically, the author took some crazy stupid things that a lot of teenagers are doing lately and she put them in her book. But we're not all the same! And behaviors like these shouldn't be put in a book. 
I just couldn't finish it. I couldn't fully get the characters and what the hell they were doing, even if the writing style was quite good. I'd give this book a 3 out of 5 stars if I had to vote just the writing style, but sadly it's what it's inside the book that I have to judge, and I really, really didn't like it.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento